The employee has a personal problem with no job performance decline.
- Offer support and remind the employee of the EAP benefit. Employees and their family members will receive free, confidential, short-term counseling.
There is job performance decline.
- Meet with the employee and give them feedback on their work performance issues. Offer the CAP as a resource that may help them improve their performance. This would be the employee’s voluntary decision.
- The supervisor can share information with the CAP counselor to assist them in helping the employee.
- The CAP counselor can share information back to the manager IF the employee signs a Release of Information.
- Be sure the employee understands that with or without CAP involvement, job performance must improve.
There is performance decline with a safety concern.
- Call CAP and HR to initiate the Fitness for Duty policy.
- Get a witness and document.
- Meet with the employee.
- Suspend the employee pending an investigation.